Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Genie Locs

So my protective style of the moment is Genie Locs. Observe:




I did them myself and they didn't even take that long. I used Red Heart Brand 100% Acrylic (any other kind of yarn used usually bleeds or rubs your hair the wrong way). I bought two rolls and they were about $2.88 each at Walmart.

SO Here are some facts about Genie Locs if I've lost you lol.


  • Genie Locs are also called Yarn Braids since they're braided with yarn (a duh statement I know)
  • They're popular among naturals for numerous reasons.
    • the yarn is closer to the appearance of natural hair than weave is, so it blends better
    • they look like locs, so one can enjoy the look and feel of having long, swingin locs without having to transform their own hair
    • they are alot softer then weave
    • you can wash/deep condition your hair while wearing these
    • the moisture retention is crazy! Genie locs hold moisture really well, making it an excellent protective style.
I love the look and feel of my Genie Locs and I've gotten numerous compliments on them. But there's a downside to everything so here are some cautions about the trend.

  • It is alot of hair. (er...yarn) so it's kind of hot to have it all piled up on your head. Some naturals may prefer to wait until the weather cools down to try this particular style.
  • Since it is yarn, it soaks up water like a motha motha so when you do wash your hair it'll be really heavy and really wet. Which means drying time will be forever unless you wring them out.
And that's really all I've got. If you've heard of or if you've got some more positives (or negatives) from your own experiences with Genie Locs, feel free to comment.

Also if you're interested, heres a link to someone who knows alot more about it than I do lol.

BlackOnyx


Stay curly! :P




No comments:

Post a Comment