Sunday, August 14, 2011

Yarn Braid Tutorial...Kinda

So I just finished doing my older sister's yarn braids so I thought this time I'd post some pics to show how I did it and what I used.


For this job we used both black and dark brown acrylic yarn.  Some brands of black yarn becomes a dark blue or purple color once its washed. So we used Red Heart Super Saver brand because it's a lot of yarn and other hair blogs say this yarn retains color best after being washed.

We tied a single strong of each color yarn on to a leg of a chair and since she wanted her braids to be long, we wrapped the yarn around all four legs of the chair. If you want shorter braids, you can wrap the yarn over just two or three of the chair legs. Once we  had a good amount of wrapped yarn, we cut the yarn.

Before braiding, I would part her hair and fold two or three strands of the yarn in half. Then I braid it into her hair just like one would do for any type of single strand braid such as box and micro braids. Here is an example of some braids once I did a few.



In this next picture, I'm showing you how much of her hair I'm putting in each braid.


Before braiding the yarn into her hair, I'd spray the yarn with my special leave in conditioning mix. In this bottle is a combination of mostly water, glycerin, dollar conditioner and grape seed oil.



 At the end of each braid, I double knotted the end, and my sister would burn the end with a lighter before cutting the excess yarn off.


And here's the finished product!



Stay Curly!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment